Friday, December 26, 2008

I think I may be allergic to holidays, not my family

(Sorry in advance for typos)

Ok, so every year my mother teases me and claims that I am allergic to my family (which is the reason I am sick almost every holiday in her opinion)... I claim that I am just allergic to holidays in general.

This year, Beau and I got to/were stuck at home for Christmas due to the lovely winter weather that has hit our area en force. I thought it was a very calm and good holiday, and it was fantastic to just spend it at home. Beau missed his family though and I am sad that he didn't get to see his family on Christmas (we will go see them this weekend though -- weather permitting). There was tasty prime rib (thank you honey for cooking!), snuggles, nap time and hilarity watching kitties that were doped up on catnip!

And despite all that, I still felt like crap. =^>.<^= I had a horrendous headache all day and had a bloody nose a couple of times. (At least I didn't complain about it that I can remember =/). Beau took a good sized nap on the couch and I passed out for a couple of hours in his chair while he was playing the game I got him.

Let's see, Beau got me these spiffy, fingerless/convertible gloves/mittens that I am wearing right now (since the office is freezing), he also got me a Bejewelled game which I like but was a little confusing at first. lol It's a little strange to have to think in circular patterns with a puzzle game but I like it. He also got me the new wrist support/rest for my mouse that I wanted (those things are so damn fun to poke and play with!), and he picked up a WoW book which looks like it will be entertaining to read.

Rather than writing yesterday, I took the day off and played WoW with my friends. That was rather good for my head I think. I had been stressing about what I wanted to happen next and if I wanted to just leave one story line where it was and pick up another until I got over my writers block. My brain came up with something though while I was busy smite spamming some poor "Loot Crazed" hunter in the Borean Tundra... in Northrend on the planet of Azeroth D: (I am way too ... I don't know what but I shouldn't remember what I was killing let alone the specific area I was in. =^-_-^= )

Anyway, I had a writers block break through and that made me relax a bit. Now... if only this cruel headache would go away. Although I would be ecstatic if I could go home early, wrap presents for my parents, get packed up and ready for the trek to Portland tomorrow (if we are even going). I'ld say that we should leave tonight, but I don't think we would be able to get over even on 30 due to ice on the roads. It was bad enough for me trying to get to work this morning with a good yard of ice between my parked car and the driveable section of the street. =^>.<^= Beau came out in pj's though and got my car out so I could go to work (I'm glad that I got to go in though, I would have felt bad for Steve if he had to be in the office all by himself today. Kent apparently broke his wrist when he slipped on some ice and is driving all the way to Vancouver today to see an orthopedic surgeon -- since apparently the one that Astoria/Seaside hired quit after a month and went back to Arizona. LJ is out sick and Kim has the day off so she can spend a belated Chirstmas with her family. Deb came in though... and Deb is simply awesome even though she is on the phone all day long with her clients lol. <3>

So this weekend, Beau and I are going to Portland to visit our families... and I just know that my father is going to throw a hissy fit. Why will he throw one? Well:
  1. He wants us to come in tonight
  2. He will be gone for part of the afternoon on both Saturday and Sunday
  3. Beau's family's gift-exchange party is Saturday night which means....
  4. I will see dad for maybe an hour on Sunday which means

.... a tantrum. Personally, I don't think I want to go in at all this weekend since Beau wants us to caravan in so he can stay in Portland and I can drive back. With the roads still icy and my not being able to see at night, I am less than thrilled. I may need to talk with Beau and work something else out because seriously... I really want a drama-free fucking holiday and that isn't going to be the case if I go in this weekend.

It isn't that I don't love my family, I just don't love the drama production that goes on. Ever since I was little -- my family is insane by the way -- Christmas/Solstice/New Years/Thanks Giving/Easter/Halloween/etc has been nothing but stress for various reasons (like procrastiantion, drama, everything has to be perfect, the lack of feeling like just being present and spending time with my family is enough for them..., etc). Now why is my family insane? Because my father is a Catholic-Buddhist (yeah, that's right... Catholic + Buddhism = dad) while my mother is Wicca-Taoist (and people wonder why I'm crazy).

I think my family celebrates almost every holdiay known to man aside from the Jewish holidays (which sometimes sound like a lot better holidays than others)! Anyway, it's just a huge production every year and it makes me think that my father is the holiday-nazi. He tries really hard to provide a happy holiday for everyone... he just goes overboard on a regular basis and makes everything stressful instead. I suppose that really isn't that bad, he could be all super christian and be completely intolerant of all other people and religions which would be much worse. =^>.>^=; I'll just stop griping now and look forward to seeing my family lol.

Maybe I really am allergic to my families -- just more so on the holidays than usual. Actually... make that I am allergic to drama from my family and it's worse around the holidays.

I really didn't mean for this to end on a note like this, but oh well... I'm just rambling now to fill the empty time at work while I am by myself lol.

No comments: